About Me

Proud crip girl who researches musicology by day and knits by night.

Friday 22 July 2011

Jumper Tragedy

Cast on 378 stitches..... this should have been my first warning.  I mean, my bum may be big, but it's not that big.  But, I told myself, it's light yarn, and the jumper (sweater) is knit all in once piece, and it's loose and flarey at the bottom.

So I kept knitting.  I was suspicious though.... Those 378 stitches per row were eating though the yarn so fast I was only getting around 5 rows to the ball.  And my jumper quickly started getting heavy, too heavy.  But because it was knit all in one piece, scrunched up on the needles, it was hard to get an accurate idea of how big it was.  So I gave it the benefit of the doubt and kept on knitting...for over a year.

By the time I got to the shoulders (this jumper was knit from the bottom up) I was ready to cast off and try it on.  I knew it wasn't going to end well.  In desperation I tried some fierce blocking, but I kew it wasn't going to work.  I put the still sleeveless jumper on.... and discovered I could wrap it around myself twice.  I had a think, what to do, what to do?

The jumper was made out of bamboo fibre, so there was no chance of felting it down to size, and because it was knit all in one piece I couldn't just reknit one or two particularly ill-fitting sections, it was all or nothing. 

So I had two choices.  I could either befriend a small elephant with good dress sense, and give them the jumper, or I could frog it all and start again.  My partner watched the trying-on process with apprehension, sure that seeing a year's worth of knitting going down the drain would upset me, but I was unfazed.  No really.

You see, not only had I long suspected there were problems with my jumper (and yes, I should have taken it off the stitches to have a look much earlier), but I understand that knitting is a process. A process that doesn't always produce exactly what you expect.  The way I saw it I could either keep my ill-fitting jumper, or I could unravel it and turn it into a bag full of yarn.  Looked at this way there was really no choice.  I love yarn, and I love yarn much more than bad jumpers.  The yarn I had bought for the project is beautiful, and now I'll be lucky enough to knit it twice. I don't feel ready to turn it back into a jumper just yet, so my question to you, faithful readers, is this: What shall I knit with 14 balls of beautiful sky blue 8ply bamboo yarn?

No comments:

Post a Comment